Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Out with the old, and in with the new.

A new year calls for a new blog :) The holidays are starting to wind down now and life is slowly getting back to normal. 2011 is already upon us, has been for a few days now, but I fear that the past years' experiences are lingering a little bit, so it's time to reflect and close that door once and for all. 


2010 was pretty whirlwind-like, it wasn't smooth, secure or calm and hardly mundane. It was definitely complex and full of uncertainty. But even so, despite many rough moments, I figured life is by far the toughest teacher I've ever had and will ever have, pushing me to my limits and sometimes beyond them, and that is a really good thing. But in terms of friendships and relationships and stuff, I think I have a few regrets here and there, for allowing myself to grow apart from some friends, but in general, I have grown closer to so many people and understood so many people better. It's scary yet amazing. 


Oh yes I remember seeing becky quite a lot this past year, watching Take Off, her coming back for sports fest and house pracs, sending her off at the airport. That seemed like eons ago, really, because now she's a whole continent and a half away. Yes anyhow, 2010 had its own unexpected surprises , and I enjoyed myself as much as I got myself all worked up over things in general. Unique, yes, but definitely one hell of a memorable year. 


So on to 2011, I'm not one for making resolutions or anything, but I'm kinda anticipating the excitement it's gonna bring. It definitely holds a lot of promise, and so long as I try to stay sane, keep smiling and always be happy, I'm sure things will always turn out alright in the end. OPTIMISM will be my middle name hehe! And here's just some stuff for myself to keep in mind this year:


1. When facing really rough times (not life or death situations but like 'aghh I'm so stressed' kinda times), the best psychological treatment is to give yourself something to look forward to each day. You know, something that will at least keep you going. And  it can be the silliest things, like 'By the end of today, I'm gonna paint all five of my toenails a different colour' or something, but definitely not that ridiculous. 


2. Sometimes your hardest critic is yourself, which also goes to say you shouldn't be too hard on yourself. So unlike the perfectionist I am, but something changed in me last year I think, I definitely don't crave perfection as much anymore because it's not realistic, and neither is it achievable. 


3. You're braver than you think you are. And don't let anyone else let you think otherwise. Easily understood.


4. True courage is pursuing your dreams even when everyone says it's impossible. People probably don't openly discourage you, but all the same their actions say it all. But just keep thinking you can do it, and you will be able to do it. 


5. Do what you love, and do it well. I learnt this one from becky so she shall be my example for this one. Becky's love for theatre and drama got her somewhere, and not just any somewhere, it got her into harvard. And currently she says 'I'm really enjoying myself because I'm taking classes that I absolutely love', which has to count for something, doesn't it? Yeah so doing what you love's more important than doing something for the sake of it. I was considering this when finding attachments and internships to do during the hols. And well, since my mind hasn't exactly given me hints on what I love doing in life and in the future, I haven't got a clue where I'm headed. But something will come up, I'm sure of it. 


6. There is joy and happiness in life. It might be oh-so-hard to find, but it's there all the same. And the tougher things get, the more you try to seek joy out. I guess I want 2011 to be a joyful, happy one, I want to laugh and feel as though I don't have a care in the world (even if I have more than a hundred things to worry about).     Because there IS joy in life but it's taken for granted and people these days don't seem to be as joyous as they once were.


7. Spending more time with family and friends is definitely good, but sometimes people need to be alone too. Like thinking time and reflection time.


8. And this shall be my resolution: to turn my dreams into solid plans. Too many times have I been dreaming and hoping but not actually doing something. This picture kinda sums it all up:



Yes, this year I'm going to love life, embrace the good times and the bad ones, regardless of what they may entail, and buckle up tight for an exciting ride! Life is not all rainbows or unicorns, but I want many ordinary miracles to come my way and experience some much-needed joy. :)


2 comments:

  1. 9. Spend more time with Lingzhi.

    Love,
    Lingzhi!(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEHE IT'S KINDA PART OF NUMBER 7 ACTUALLY HAHAHAHAAHA ;)

    ReplyDelete